This Policy sets out the categories of personal information which the Academy may collect from you when you visit the website or in the event that you provide any personal information to the Academy for any of the listed items under “What We Do With the Information”.
If you have any questions about this Policy, please see contact details at the end of this page. The Academy may amend this Policy from time to time, so you should check this page from time to time to ensure that you are aware of any changes that have been made. If we make material changes to this Policy we will notify you by means of a prominent notice on the Website prior to the change becoming effective.
Personal information you volunteer or which we may infer
You may volunteer or we may collect the following information:
- Your name and contact information, including email address and contact details;
- Banking details (if applicable);
- Education and employment history;
- Information regarding your personal or professional interests, demographics, experiences with the Academy, its donors or partners.
If you do not provide the information we need, we may not be able to provide you with the opportunities we have available. Where you provide us with the personal information of third parties you should take steps to inform the third party that you need to disclose their details to us, identifying us. We will process their personal information in accordance with this Policy.
Personal information we collect automatically
When you use the Website, the Academy automatically receives and records information on our server logs from your browser or mobile platform, including your location, IP address, cookie information, and the page you requested. We treat this data as non-personal information, except where we are compelled to do otherwise by law or legal authority.
We may link to other websites which are not within our control. Once you have left our Website, we are not responsible for the protection and privacy of any information which you provide. You should exercise caution and look at the privacy statement applicable to the third party’s website in question.
What We Do With the Information
We use your information to provide Applicants with opportunities with our partners, and in particular for the following reasons:
- To respond to and process your Applications for any of our initiatives;
- To respond to your inquiries and/or complaints or process your requests in relation to your information;
- To follow up as part of our initiative management procedures;
- To update our records about you;
- For internal record keeping;
- To contact you for market research purposes and/or administer opportunities to you;
- For fraud prevention and detection, and to comply with applicable laws and regulations;
- In relation to competitions and other promotions;
- To evaluate the effectiveness of our marketing and for research, training and statistical analysis with the aim of improving our initiatives; and
- To make our Website easier for you to use and to provide you with access to certain parts of the Website.
The Academy processes your personal information for the purposes outlined above where
- The processing of your personal information is necessary to perform a contract or enter into a contract with you;
- The processing of your personal information is necessary for us to comply with legal and regulatory obligations; or
- The processing is necessary to support our legitimate interests in managing our business (or those of a third party) provided such interests are not overridden by your interests and rights.
Your Right to Object – Please note that you have a right to object to the processing of your personal information where that processing is carried out for our legitimate interests.
Where required by applicable law, where we send you direct marketing, we will obtain your consent for this, which you may withdraw at any time.
How Long do we Keep Your Information
We are required to ensure that your personal information is accurate and maintained in a secure environment for a period of time no longer than necessary for the purposes for which we are processing your personal information. We generally keep personal information collected via the Website in accordance with the timeframes set out in any relevant legislation which applies to the personal information provided to us. However, in some cases we may need to keep personal information for longer (e.g., where we are required to do so in accordance with legal, regulatory, tax or accounting requirements, or dealing with complaints, legal challenges or prospective litigation).
Sharing Your Information
We may disclose your personal information to the following third parties:
- Partner Companies to the Academy for purposes of considering candidates;
- Selected third parties to provide us with services, including companies that provide us with technical support and assistance in respect of the Website, companies that provide back-office services, companies that provide hosting services or, that track the Website’s activities and analytics, and companies engaged to promote the Academy initiatives;
- Professional advisers, judicial, regulatory and law enforcement bodies; and
- As otherwise permitted by law.
Accessing Your Personal Information, correction and/or deletion
You may request details of personal information which we hold about you under the Promotion of Access to Information Act, 2 of 2000 (“PAIA”). Fees to obtain a copy or a description of personal information held about you are prescribed in terms of this Act. Confirmation of whether or not we hold personal information about you may be requested free of charge.
You may request the correction of personal information the Academy holds about you. Please ensure that the information we hold about you is complete, accurate and up to date. If you fail to keep your information updated, or if your information is incorrect, The Academy may limit the products and services offered to you or elect not to open the account. Depending on the nature of the change, and Applicable Laws, we may be required to report the information to a tax authority or third-party financial institutions which are withholding agents.
You have a right in certain circumstances to request the destruction or deletion of and, where applicable, to obtain restriction on the processing of personal information held about you. If you wish to exercise this right, please contact us as detailed below.
You have a right to object on reasonable grounds to the processing of your personal information where the processing is carried out in order to protect our legitimate interests or your legitimate interests unless the law provides for such processing. If you wish to object to the processing of your personal information, please contact us as detailed below.
Should you believe that the Academy has utilised your personal information contrary to Applicable Laws, you undertake to first attempt to resolve any concerns with the Academy.
If you are not satisfied with such process, you may have the right to lodge a complaint with the Information Regulator, using the contact details listed below:
Tel: 010 023 5200
Fax: 086 500 3351
Email: [email protected]
If you have any questions about our Policy or practices described in it, you should contact us.